The Conveyancing Process Letterkenny

Buying, Selling or Transferring Property

The legal side of  buying, selling or transferring property from one person to another is called conveyancing. Crawford Gallagher Solicitors aim to make all your property dealings as simple as possible.

Buying or selling your home should be an exciting time for you, not a stressful one. Crawford Gallagher Solicitors  can help to make the sale or purchase run as smoothly as possible, and we will keep you informed every step of the way.

Tips on Conveyancing & Selling Your Property

The sooner you get in touch with us about your plans to sell your property, the more we can help. We are familiar with the documents and processes you need to complete the sale. We can sit down with you face-to-face or online and guide you through the process, from start to finish.

It  is most important to  start gathering the documentation you need as soon as possible as this can help you avoid delays and save you money. Did you know that the quicker your property sells, the higher it sells for? That’s according to UK statistics….

What Documents Do I Need for Selling a House?

If you are selling your property, you need to supply your solicitor with the following documents:

  • Your deeds (or a letter of Authority signed by you detailing your bank account number) so that we may take up your title deeds from the bank.
  • What bank is holding your deeds.
  • Your P.P.S. number and tax type
  • Your ID either passport/ driver licence
  • A utility bill/bank statement dated within the last 6 months
  • If you are married your marriage certificate or if you are divorced a copy of your divorce decree or separation agreement
  • LPT certificates paid up to date and NPPR certificate of clearance.
  • Receipt for septic tank registration (Protect our Water)
  • Folio & file Plan or if Registry of Deeds then we will require a land registry compliant map.
  • Planning Documents, Final Grant, commencement notice,
  • Architects Certificate of compliance with Building Regulations, Planning Permission and Identification

Two other things to remember: you need to let your solicitor know if there have been any alterations to the property.  You also need to let them know whether you had planning documentation for these alterations and produce same to the solicitor.

Finally, are there any contents included in the sale?  please supply an inventory (list) of the contents and cost of the contents.


What Do I Need for Buying a House?

If you are Buying Property, you need to give your solicitor with the following information:

  • The name and address of your bank.
  • How much you are borrowing.
  • Survey report on the property from a registered Architect/surveyor
  • Photo ID either passport or driver licence
  • Utility Bill/ Bank Statement dated within the last 6 months
  • Your P.P.S. number & tax type
  • Marriage certificate
  • Details of any contents included in sale.


Those getting a Mortgage:

  • If you are getting a mortgage please remember that any associated documents that the bank requires should be put in place such as,
  • Life policy, Insurance on the property, Valuation of the property, structural survey report as this will help speed up the process and avoid any unnecessary delays with your mortgage

We can advise you on the legal costs and stamp duty applicable to the sale.

To conclude if you are considering buying or selling property, we would be happy to discuss with you and provide you with a competitive no obligation quotation. So, call us on 0749164906 for Conveyancing Letterkenny legal specialists or email

This article is general in nature and cannot be regarded as legal advice, as it is commentary only. If you would like legal advice regarding how the law applies to your individual situation, then please do not hesitate to contact the Letterkenny office of Crawford Gallagher Solicitors. Contact details 074 916 4906 or email